Music is recognised by Cumnor as being an integral part of learning the skills for life, both through curriculum classwork, individual instrumental playing and music ensembles.
We have over 20 specialised music staff and 14 ensembles rehearsing in the very busy and vibrant Music House each week.
Whether our boys are performing under the baton of Antonio Pappano at the Royal Opera House, sharing a stage with the BBC singers or working together to reinvent funk on a set of boomwhackers, the message is the same:
Enjoy, Improve, Shine
The benefits to playing a musical instrument in terms of how it aids learning are well documented and summarised in this video
- Take a risk by singing a solo
- Gain confidence by joining a musical group
- Increase self-discipline through practice
- Explore language/structure through composition
- Take pride in gaining accolades
- Have fun being part of something bigger
Our school song, The Cumnor Way, was specially written for us by the composer Douglas Coombes MBE when the Junior Choir won the Barnardo’s National Choir Competition.