Cumnor House School for Boys is Founded
Cumnor House School was named after the house in which, with many additional buildings, it remains to this day.
During the Second World War the School was evacuated as a boarding school to Seals near Guildford and then to Danehill in Sussex, where a completely separate school of the same name and with a similar uniform continues today.
The School Re-opens
Cumnor House School re-opened in Pampisford Road and recognised by the Department of Education in 1951.
The private school premises consisted of three large houses to which considerable buildings have been added.
Cumnor House Nursery Opens
The first Cumnor House Nursery opened in January 2007 in the pavilion on the Cumnor House Sports field. It opened with 7 full-time children and by July had grown to 30 children and received an outstanding grade from OfSTED.
The Nursery Relocates
In February 2008, the nursery relocated to the bungalow overlooking the sports field. This underwent a huge transformation from a residential bungalow to a nursery environment with enclosed garden.
At this point in time, the school decided to double the nursery capacity and so upgraded the pavilion, offering an additional 38 places.
Cumnor House School for Girls Opens
In 2010 Cumnor House successfully opened Cumnor House Girls’ School within the Webb Estate, Purley. The school was originally founded in 1910 by Fred Chappell as The Downs acknowledging its location on the Woodcote Downs.
Edgar Dodd took over the school in September 1920 where there were 25-30 pupils. It is through Edgar’s vision that the school has made the Webb Estate its home for the last 100 years.
A Second Nursery Opens
Another chapter of the Cumnor House Nursery story began in September 2010, when a new site on the Webb Estate in Purley was acquired.
In September 2010 the school became part of the Cognita Schools group and has benefited from significant investment and refurbishment of the buildings and teaching facilities.
School Bus Launched
The school bus is introduced with various routes. It also runs regularly between the boys’ and girls’ schools to make the school run a little easier for parents with children at both.
A team of inspectors from the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) visit in December and scrutinise the Early Years provision, comprising Nursery and Reception.
They grade it ‘outstanding’ in every area and overall.
Nursery Expands Provision
In response to demand from working parents, Cumnor House Nursery introduces 51-week provision from September, in addition to the original term-time offering.
The Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) returns in February to conduct an Educational Quality inspection of Cumnor House School, focused on pupil achievement and personal development.
They judge the school to be ‘excellent’ in every area and overall.
Extensive work takes place during summer to completely redevelop the pavilion and refurbish the bungalow to create two fantastic nursery settings in Pampisford Road. The new Cumnor House Nursery opened on 30 September for the start of the new school year.