In Conversation with …. Director of Sport, Mr R. Brotherton
Cumnor House School has recently been awarded a position in the Top 50 Prep Schools for cricket in the country by The Cricketer.
Our Director of Sport, Mr R. Brotherton, reflects on a successful sporting year, our sporting alumni, the role the Cumnor Way has on our pupils and his vision for sport in the future.
Q. Tell us about the Sports Department at Cumnor House?
A: “Sport runs through the DNA fabric of our school. This is represented in the schools continued success in both county and national competitions, where we consistently compete against much larger schools; this is testament to the exceptional attitudes of the boys and on-going provision provided by the school and coaching staff.”
At Cumnor House we believe strongly in the lessons of teamwork and personal achievement that can be learned through participation in sport. Our Sports Department, run an organised, well structured programme of sporting activity throughout the year. The school offers 250+ football, 200+ rugby & 150+ cricket fixtures each year with great success. We want to ensure that children in our care grow to appreciate the immeasurable benefits of regular exercise.
Twenty Nine Teams, U7 – U13
– U13 National Finalists 2017, 2018
– U11 National Finalists 2018
– U13 Surrey Champions 2016, 2017, 2018 / Runners up in 2015
– U11 Surrey Champions 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
Thirty Four Teams – U7 to U13
– U11 Surrey Champions 2017
– U11 National Runners Up 2013 / National Finalists 2016, 2014
– U13 National Runners Up 2016 / National Finalists 2018
Twenty Eight Teams – U8 to U13
– U8 National Finals 2016 & 2017 (top 4 schools)
– U10 National Finals 2017
– U11 National Finals 2016
Swimming Squad – U6 to U13
– Ranked inside the Top 10 Prep Schools nationally for English competitions year on year
– Croydon Primary Schools Champions for the last decade
We also have a large range of additional sports including:
- Tennis Team (U11 – U13)
- Athletics Team (U9-U13)
- Cross Country Team (U10-U13)
- Traiathlon Team (U10-U13)
- Table Tennis
Q. What role does the school’s values ‘The Cumnor Way’ have to play in sport at Cumnor House?
A: Sporting fixtures teach you character, teach you to play by the rules, teach you to know what it feels like to win and lose & teach you about life.
Q. What’s the future of sport at Cumnor House?
A: To continue to compete to high standards regionally and nationally on the sports field and in the swimming pool. To make sure every boy is afforded the opportunity to regular sporting fixtures and one lesson of swimming every week.
Q. In no more than 10 words, describe Sport at Cumnor House School!
A: “Sport at Cumnor is where preparation and opportunity meet.”
Published on: 22nd November 2018