Croydon Independent Prep School
Here at our Cumnor House Boys’ and Girls’ Schools, we pride ourselves on encouraging a genuine love for learning. From a very young age, we support our children in their development of a sense of curiosity, open-mindedness, perseverance, objectivity, reflection and critical thinking. This thirst for growth and knowledge is one that stays with them throughout their school years, meaning they enter each stage of their lives best prepared for the challenges and opportunities ahead.
Our Schools’ broad and balanced curriculum develops the knowledge, skills and understanding in all subjects which enables our children to apply themselves with confidence, emphasising individual talents in a wide range of fields, including academic, music, sport, art and drama and provides them with as much choice as possible when selecting Senior schools.
Above all else, timeless values and good manners remain at the forefront of our provision. ‘The Cumnor Way’ is a list of guidelines that each of our children is expected to adopt and follow and it provides the foundation on which all of our teaching operates.
‘The Cumnor Way’
- Do your best to be your best self
- Be helpful
- Be kind
- Be truthful
- Treat others as you would like to be treated
Cumnor House Aims & Values
Values and Aims of Cumnor House School
These are the main values of our school, upon which we base our teaching and learning:
- We value the way in which all children are unique, and our curriculum promotes respect for the views of each individual child, as well as for people of all cultures
- We value a working partnership with parents to care for the particular needs and strengths of each girl.
- We value the spiritual and moral development of each person, as well as their intellectual and physical growth.
- We value the importance of each person in our community. We organise our curriculum so that we promote co-operation and understanding between all members of our community.
- We value the rights enjoyed by each person in our society. We respect each child in our school for who they are, and we treat them with fairness and honesty.
- We value our environment, and we aim, through our curriculum, to teach respect for our world, and how we should care for it for future generations, as well as our own.
We aim to:
- Encourage the development of a love of learning within a structured, broad and balanced curriculum
- Develop knowledge and understanding in all subjects to enable pupils to apply skills with confidence
- Prepare pupils thoroughly for the entrance requirements of their senior schools, usually in the independent sector
- Develop learning skills through encouraging a sense of curiosity, open-mindedness, perseverance, objectivity, reflection and critical thinking
- Nurture individual pupil diversity emphasising individual talents in a wide range of fields, including academic, music, sport, art and drama
- Develop self esteem in each pupil and a positive belief in their individual abilities
- Encourage pupils to become increasingly responsible for their own learning
- Develop interpersonal skills including effective communication and teamwork
- Develop values and opinions within the context of mutual respect and understanding of differing belief systems and cultures
- Promote the adherence to the Cumnor Way
Watch our School Videos
Some recent comments received by parents of children at the schools:
Boys School Parent
Everything about the school from the uniform to the teaching is tailored to bring out the best in a boy. Our boys have grown in confidence and knowledge at Cumnor. They love school so what more can any parent ask.
Girls School Parent
It is known for providing a stable, nurturing environment and giving girls a well-rounded education.
The staff at the nursery are amazing!!! Very caring and wonderful with the kids. Both my daughters are thriving there and absolutely adore their teachers.